So, this past weekend, I walked in a parade with my cute Student Council members. It was a little over 2 miles. They were tossing candy, giving people high-fives, doing cartwheels and backflips, and generally doing a fantastic job of representing our school.
I am SO proud of them!
Today when I got to school, my principal asked me how things went. I told her things were fantastic, the students were like the cool kids at the party, etc. Then she asked if I heard about so-and-so.
No, I hadn't.
Apparently, as the kiddos were doing cartwheels and back handsprings down the road, so-and-so broke both her wrists as she landed. Yep, you read that right. BOTH HER WRISTS. She didn't fall or scrape her hands or anything. It's called pressure fractures or something.
I was aghast! This little cutie hadn't said a word to anyone! She quietly (as normal) said goodbye and went to find her parents. The day was done, and all was well.
Or not.
She was sitting down and went to get up and just started crying because her wrists hurt so much. Which led to the ER, which led to both arms in casts for a month. I have a feeling summer won't be the same.
I spoke to both her and her mom this morning. She was at school, broken wrists and all. I got the impression that the doctor said it was unusual and would have happened sooner or later with her doing gymnastics. Weird. I just can't get over it! I feel so bad for the sweet thing!
I thought maybe I'd send her flowers, courtesy of the Student Council. Oh, and some milk. You know, for added calcium and bone strength.
I am SO proud of them!
Today when I got to school, my principal asked me how things went. I told her things were fantastic, the students were like the cool kids at the party, etc. Then she asked if I heard about so-and-so.
No, I hadn't.
Apparently, as the kiddos were doing cartwheels and back handsprings down the road, so-and-so broke both her wrists as she landed. Yep, you read that right. BOTH HER WRISTS. She didn't fall or scrape her hands or anything. It's called pressure fractures or something.
I was aghast! This little cutie hadn't said a word to anyone! She quietly (as normal) said goodbye and went to find her parents. The day was done, and all was well.
Or not.
She was sitting down and went to get up and just started crying because her wrists hurt so much. Which led to the ER, which led to both arms in casts for a month. I have a feeling summer won't be the same.
I spoke to both her and her mom this morning. She was at school, broken wrists and all. I got the impression that the doctor said it was unusual and would have happened sooner or later with her doing gymnastics. Weird. I just can't get over it! I feel so bad for the sweet thing!
I thought maybe I'd send her flowers, courtesy of the Student Council. Oh, and some milk. You know, for added calcium and bone strength.

2 comments:
So sad! Send the milk for sure!
When I was in 5th grade I broke my wrist the exact same way (backhandspring), so I couldn't help but laugh a little at this story because of the memories.
Post a Comment