Monday, February 14, 2011

Be Afraid. Very Afraid.

I was reading a student's writing, and she had written, "I'm afraid of being alone in the dark." I asked her about this, to which she replied, "Yeah, because I'm down alone in the basement, and it's dark, and I'm afraid someone might break in and kill me."

WHAT?

"Do you have people breaking into houses in your neighborhood often?"

"No. But you know that show Castle?" I nodded my head. "Well, I really like to watch it and people are always getting killed, and there's blood and stuff. It's scary!"

"Well, then why do you watch it? Why not change the channel or go do something else? I really don't think you should be watching that show until you're at least, oh, maybe 13."

"I just really like it. I can't help myself."

I'm pretty sure she's just probably watching the shows that her parents watch, but on that note,
ladies and gentlemen, we are growing a generation of crime-show watchers. Be afraid.

No comments: